Skip to main content

Spicy Chicken Meatballs and Grilled Cheese Skewers

Spicy Chicken Meatballs and Grilled Cheese Skewers

chicken & grilled cheese skewers - www.iamafoodblog.com
chicken & grilled cheese skewers - www.iamafoodblog.com
chicken & grilled cheese skewers - www.iamafoodblog.comchicken & grilled cheese skewers - www.iamafoodblog.com
I’m an extremist. I like excess, but I like restraint too. Sometimes, when there’s too much to choose from I get choice paralysis. If I’m not careful, when I’m at the grocery store, I’ll buy a bit of everything and realize that I don’t have ingredients to make any specific thing. It helps if I bring along lists or have a clear idea of what I’m going to make. Sometimes though, I make the best things when I’m restricted.
Take these little spicy chicken meatball and grilled cheese skewers, for example. They’re made with just four ingredients (well, seven if you count oil, salt and pepper). Last year, I participated in the Tabasco 10 challenge where I created 5 recipes with only 10 ingredients. I had a blast, and when Tabasco approached me to create the list of ingredients for this year, I was stoked. I chose: Tabasco (original, jalapeño or chipotle), chicken, eggs, mozzarella, fennel, zucchini, rice, rigatoni, ciabatta, and honey.
It was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be to come up with a list so I’m excited to see what everyone makes! I hope you check out some of the other bloggers participating in #Tabasco10 this year: Fix Feast Flair, Crepes of Wrath, Flourishing Foodie, Brooklyn Supper, Real Food by Dad, Climbing Grier Mountain, Host the Toast, Shared Appetite, The Lemon Bowl, and The Novice Chef.
pictured: baking dish // cutting board
PS – What would you make with these ingredients?!
chicken & grilled cheese skewers - www.iamafoodblog.com
  • 1/2 lb ground chicken, or two chicken thighs, skin removed chopped up
  • 1/2 teaspoon tabasco
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • oil, for pan-frying
  • 1 small ciabatta loaf, cut lengthwise, or slices of ciabatta
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
  • tabasco, to finish, if desired
Mix together the chicken, tabasco, salt and pepper. Form into small meatballs. Heat up a touch of oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and cook until meatballs are browned and cooked through, flipping as needed, 5-8 minutes.
In another pan, heat up a touch of oil over medium heat. Lay down a slice of ciabatta and top with shredded mozzarella. Top with the remaining slice. Grill until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, flipping once, about 3-4 minutes per side.
Cut the grilled cheese into tiny cubes and skewer, alternating with chicken. Repeat as needed and enjoy with extra tabasco, if desired!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Brunch with BAE: Bacon Avocado Egg Sandwich

Sunday Brunch with BAE: Bacon Avocado Egg Sandwich I’m a huge fan of breakfast sandwiches, not that I actually eat them at breakfast. I actually fail at adulting because I don’t do breakfast, except for coffee and sometimes medium-soft boiled eggs. Usually, Mike and I will have something around 10 or 11, or even just start our day with lunch. It’s not that we wake up really late – on the contrary, Mike gets up insanely early (around 6) and I wake up between 7 and 8. I’m not quite sure when I started not eating breakfast on the regular because I have really vivid memories of eating cereal as a kid. It was always Corn Pops or Cocoa Pebbles. As a teen I’d make myself a slice of dry white toast to eat while walking to school. Somehow breakfast eating fell along the wayside. But, I’m pretty sure I can get into eating breakfast on the regular, especially if these breakfast sandwiches were on the menu. I mean, you really can’t go wrong with bacon, egg, and avo...

Welsh Rarebit Recipe

Welsh Rarebit Recipe Yesterday Mike and I had a little midnight snack! We aren’t really midnight snackers, but I had just finished watching  Blue is the Warmest Color  and was feeling peckish – there are a lot of spaghetti shots in the movie. Which is  very long and very French and very much full of sexy lesbian scenes . It won a Palme D’or in 2013 and is very highly regarded, except on Netflix, where it has a rating of one star. When Mike suggested it I was a little skeptical but was very quickly drawn in. Mike not so much because he fell asleep. The acting was excellent so I recommend it if you like foreign films about the exquisite ecstasy of falling in and out of love. Anyway, when I finished the movie and woke Mike up, we decided we’d have a little bit of fun and shoot a post, casual style. I’ve always wanted to make Welsh rarebit and we magically had all of the ingredients in the fridge, so we went for it! Welsh rarebit, or rabbit, as it’s cal...

Smoked Salmon and Avocado Summer Rolls

Smoked Salmon and Avocado Summer Rolls Happy Monday friends! Did you guys have a good one? We had a big ol’ Vietnamese eating and drinking party on Saturday. According to Mike, these parties are called “nhậu.” Basically a bunch of people get together, drink and consume massive amounts of beer snacks. It’s kind of like going to an izakaya in Japan, or maybe heading to the bar for happy hour, only we did it at home since there’s no such thing as a Vietnamese bar around here. Funny fact about that: almost all of the Vietnamese restaurants around here are unlicensed because some Vietnamese people get angry when they drink. Just so we’re clear, I have no idea if any of this is true, but considering this theory comes from Mike–who actually is Vietnamese–I’ll take his word for it. Plus, there’s  this pretty crazy video of some girls throwing down in a pho restaurant  that kinda sorta supports his hypothesis. No word ...