Skip to main content

Citrus Sage Tonic Recipe

Citrus Sage Tonic Recipe
Citrus Sage Tonic Recipe - www.iamafoodblog.com

Citrus Sage Tonic Recipe - www.iamafoodblog.com
The first time I had a gin and tonic was with Mike in Madrid. It sounds silly but I had never had occasion to order them before then, but then I found out that they were famous for them there. What I didn’t expect was how strong they were. So strong they knocked me out and I had no recollection of that day beyond a hazy love for G&T. These sage and citrus tonics are just like my first memory of Madrid G&T, instant love!
This recipe for citrus sage tonic comes from Lily’s beautiful new book, Kale & Caramel: Recipes for the Body, Heart, and Table. Lily’s the blogger behind Kale & Caramel and she’s one badass lady who lives her life to the fullest – I’m lucky to call her my friend. Her new book is full of healthful recipes that focus on herbs and flowers in a fun, fresh way. And if you love cookbooks with stories, this is the one for you. Lily’s words weave her memories into recipes, bringing you along with her as she grows up in Hawaii, goes to college, and all the way through to heartbreak and healing.
Really though, this book is an ode to Lily’s mother, in the most beautiful way possible. Cheers to Lily, her mom, and all the moms out there. And cheers to gin and tonics, of course!
Citrus Sage Tonic Recipe - www.iamafoodblog.com
Use a muddler to crush the sage and sweetener of choice at the bottom of a cocktail shaker or mixing glass. Add the juices and a pinch of salt. Shake or stir well, then strain over ice! Add a generous splash of gin, if desired. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Brunch with BAE: Bacon Avocado Egg Sandwich

Sunday Brunch with BAE: Bacon Avocado Egg Sandwich I’m a huge fan of breakfast sandwiches, not that I actually eat them at breakfast. I actually fail at adulting because I don’t do breakfast, except for coffee and sometimes medium-soft boiled eggs. Usually, Mike and I will have something around 10 or 11, or even just start our day with lunch. It’s not that we wake up really late – on the contrary, Mike gets up insanely early (around 6) and I wake up between 7 and 8. I’m not quite sure when I started not eating breakfast on the regular because I have really vivid memories of eating cereal as a kid. It was always Corn Pops or Cocoa Pebbles. As a teen I’d make myself a slice of dry white toast to eat while walking to school. Somehow breakfast eating fell along the wayside. But, I’m pretty sure I can get into eating breakfast on the regular, especially if these breakfast sandwiches were on the menu. I mean, you really can’t go wrong with bacon, egg, and avo...

Welsh Rarebit Recipe

Welsh Rarebit Recipe Yesterday Mike and I had a little midnight snack! We aren’t really midnight snackers, but I had just finished watching  Blue is the Warmest Color  and was feeling peckish – there are a lot of spaghetti shots in the movie. Which is  very long and very French and very much full of sexy lesbian scenes . It won a Palme D’or in 2013 and is very highly regarded, except on Netflix, where it has a rating of one star. When Mike suggested it I was a little skeptical but was very quickly drawn in. Mike not so much because he fell asleep. The acting was excellent so I recommend it if you like foreign films about the exquisite ecstasy of falling in and out of love. Anyway, when I finished the movie and woke Mike up, we decided we’d have a little bit of fun and shoot a post, casual style. I’ve always wanted to make Welsh rarebit and we magically had all of the ingredients in the fridge, so we went for it! Welsh rarebit, or rabbit, as it’s cal...

Smoked Salmon and Avocado Summer Rolls

Smoked Salmon and Avocado Summer Rolls Happy Monday friends! Did you guys have a good one? We had a big ol’ Vietnamese eating and drinking party on Saturday. According to Mike, these parties are called “nhậu.” Basically a bunch of people get together, drink and consume massive amounts of beer snacks. It’s kind of like going to an izakaya in Japan, or maybe heading to the bar for happy hour, only we did it at home since there’s no such thing as a Vietnamese bar around here. Funny fact about that: almost all of the Vietnamese restaurants around here are unlicensed because some Vietnamese people get angry when they drink. Just so we’re clear, I have no idea if any of this is true, but considering this theory comes from Mike–who actually is Vietnamese–I’ll take his word for it. Plus, there’s  this pretty crazy video of some girls throwing down in a pho restaurant  that kinda sorta supports his hypothesis. No word ...